POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Florescent light bulb : Re: Florescent light bulb Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Florescent light bulb
From: Ken
Date: 24 Mar 1999 01:28:41
Message: <36F88527.45F30B8E@pacbell.net>
Michael Soda wrote:

> First off, ...thanks for the suggestion.
>
> But do you mean just declare a bunch of light sources at several points
> inside the cylinder?  I understand that the more lights I declare,
> the smoother the shadows, but also, to make that many lights,
> I'd greatly slow down my render time....
>
> isn't there another way?

 One thing that you might try is to use a cylindrical light source
outside the tube itself (check the docs for syntax) and then use a
normal white pigment on the florescent tube with a high ambient value.
A value over one is legal, I sometimes go to 10, and will add white
color to the scene. This combination I feel will give the illumination
that you are looking for and also that white color that florescent
lights are commonly known for. Or you might try the cylindrical light
source inside the tube to see what happens. Use transmit instead of
filter to get the light out or you will lose both intensity as well
as the white color of the tube.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net