POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: What is a degenerate triangle? : Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 22 Mar 1999 06:26:38
Message: <36F628E5.750B7B8F@peak.edu.ee>
Well, yes and no. Remember, we are dealing with surface normals _only_ in
this case. The triangle has no inside/outside. In theory the normals could
flip from one side of the triangle to the other, POV wouldn't give a damn.
It would simply result in a strange jump in lighting.
By the way, CSG objects often have surface normals pointing both in and out
(as a result of the difference operation). This creates problems only in
very specific cases, like using the trace() funcion to do something based on
the surface normal (creating furry CSG is a bitch :)
The Julia fractal is a 4D object. Rendering 4D objects isn't all that
difficult, but it would have to be a 3D "slice" of the object, so result are
hard to predict.

I think the real problem is that of ambiguity, which I described.

Also, I notice that I'm in a talkative mood today.

Margus

/.../