POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: What is a degenerate triangle? : Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 22 Mar 1999 04:45:39
Message: <36F61143.2A029943@peak.edu.ee>
Upon furter meditation, this is not quite right. Ken's 4D argument is
correct. The sphere has normals pointing in all directions, but all normals
point to the same side of it's surface, by default the "outside". For an
object to have it's "inside" and "outside" on the same surface, it wold have
to be twisted in 4D (e.g. the Klein bottle, the 4D equivalent of the Moebius
band). This also happens when a smooth triangle's normals go from "up" at
one corner to "down" in the other.
The ambiguity problem I still applies, but a clearer definition is: when a
corner normal differs more than 90 degrees from the general normal (defined
by the corners of the triangle), POV cannot tell which way to do the
interpolation - is the surface concave? Or convex?

Margus