POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: What is a degenerate triangle? : Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:18:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 22 Mar 1999 03:26:49
Message: <36F5FEC7.CE83AA3D@peak.edu.ee>
I'm not a programmer type and I might be wrong, but there seems to be a
problem of ambiguity. This is how I envision it: the normals of a smooth
triangle are calculated via interpolation of its 3 corner normals. When one
normal is rotated more than 180 degrees in relation to the others, how
should POV know which way to do the interpolated rotation? Bad ASCII art:

 |   /
         \

 |   \
         /   \

The end result is the same, but the intermediate normals are different. As
long as the angle difference is less than 180 degrees there is no ambiguity.

Margus