POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.1e - public download? : Re: POV 3.1e - public download? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1e - public download?
From: Kalle Anka
Date: 21 Mar 1999 13:46:47
Message: <36F53E96.7301C0B5@anka.com>
Alan Kong wrote:

> Spider wrote:
> >> I posted a link in the thread Linux 3.1e povray, to a public download
> >> place of pov 3.1e for DOS and linux.
>
> http://forumsa.compuserve.com/gvforums/default.asp?srv=povray
>
>   I followed the link listed above and arrived at the Web view of
> CompuServe's GO POVRAY Forum. When I clicked on the link to "Get Official
> POV-Ray 3.1e for Linux", a request for authorization would appear. I can
> gain access to this download because I've got a CompuServe account but I
> don't believe it is available to non-members. Were you able to download
> v3.1e from this .url without a CompuServe account?

I had no problems downloading (more than renaming), I ahve the source in
http://histgr168.sn.umu.se/~peter/pov3.1e.TGZ
I haven't compiled it though ( it unpacks correctly).

>   Best bet to obtain POV-Ray v3.1e is to check periodically at povray.org
> for updated links. The POV-Team normally posts new/revised versions to the
> GO POVRAY Forum first, as it allows for faster feedback from members and
> subsequent corrections/substitutions of the binaries should the need arise.
> It's just a lot easier for the POV-Team to make changes in-house <s>.

But I would love to see a anon. CVS for pov, with a std. tree and a
superpatch tree.
I really hate that compuserve thing, because it's nonfree and it's not
possible to see all those great works of art there are.

>   Povray.org is usually updated within a few weeks to provide access to the
> new versions of POV-Ray.
>
> - Alan

/Peter Toneby