POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: What is a degenerate triangle? : Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: What is a degenerate triangle?
From: david sharp
Date: 21 Mar 1999 09:47:40
Message: <36F50681.6E9@interport.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

[ ... ]
> This particular triangle works just fine with POV 3.1 for me.

As a smooth_triangle?
I am using 3.1d, DOS version, and that smooth_triangle is
reported degenerate. The points and normals are generated by
macros and if I at least knew why it was degenerate (or being
reported as such) I could do automate some 'detect and correct',
like substituting a 'flat' triangle (which works fine with
those coordinates).

> If you accidently typed something like:
> smooth_triangle{
>        v1,n1,
>         v2,n2,
>         v2,n3  // note this line
> }

Well, in my case, this is actually the most likely cause,
but I cutnpasted directly from the source.