POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Help with light code : Re: Help with light code Server Time
30 Apr 2024 22:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help with light code
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 18 Mar 1999 22:51:12
Message: <36F1C9AC.2F7B35F9@aol.com>
I may have misunderstood entirely your attempt, which is common when
trying to convey things.
The area_light suggestion I made earlier was so that the light being
emitted from within the sphere would blend shadow/light edges of the
sparsely lit irregular spots on the surrounding floor. Now it sounds to
me like you are looking for a more diffuse (in terms of softer spread)
light and I'm not sure how to go about that. In fact, if so, seems to me
the area lights would do okay for this. The other thing I was thinking
would be to have a filtering of the object texture. Meaning, you now
have a sharp edged texture (spiral with color map of .25 to .25 then to
.75 and .75) and using a more blended color map like:

#declare ariadna = texture {
  pigment {
   spiral1 12   //was spiral2
    turbulence 0.8
    //frequency 3
    scale 3
    color_map { //softer edged color map
    [0.225 rgbf <1.0, 1.1, 1.0, 0.0>] //slightly green ???
    [0.25 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5>]  //added
    [0.275 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>]
    [0.725 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>]
    [0.75 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5>]  //added
    [0.775 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0>]
  }
    rotate <90,0,0>
  }
}
texture {
  pigment {
    spiral2 12
    turbulence 0.8
    //frequency 3
    scale 3
    color_map { //softer edged color map
    [0.225 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0>]
    [0.25 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5>]  //added
    [0.275 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>]
    [0.725 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0>]
    [0.75 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.5>]  //added
    [0.775 rgbf <1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0>]
  }
    rotate <0,90,0>   }
  finish {Dull}

The slight green I take it may be a mistake? I didn't change it.
Anyhow, this might not be anything that your trying to do, in which case
a fail to understand your need. Sorry if so. Maybe Ken will have a
thought eventually.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe