POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gamma 1.0 or Bust! : Re: Gamma 1.0 or Bust! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma 1.0 or Bust!
From: Steve
Date: 18 Mar 1999 09:13:41
Message: <36F10AA9.CBBB89CA@puzzlecraft.com>
Which gamma would you have the monitor manufactured to? The one that matches
your printer or mine? Should it match an IRIS printer or a Heidelberg offset
printing press? Should it match a Canon Color Copier or a transparancy
imagesetter?

The monitors must be adjustable in a highly controlled way or they are useless
for professional work. We have to set the monitor's gamma to match the output
of the job we are doing and we have to be able to change it for different
output targets. We have to fine tune it for local environmental variables.

Even using preset color profiles is not good enough - for instance each brand
of dye sublimation printer yields different color - even the same printer will
give varying results from different batches of film from the same manufacturer.

For highly detailed information on color calibration, densitometry and
sensitometry, I refer  to the extensive research available from the Graphic
Arts Technical Foundation.