POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? : Re: Rendering in B&W? - RIGHT, THAT'S IT!!! ;-) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering in B&W? - RIGHT, THAT'S IT!!! ;-)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 13 Mar 1999 09:42:46
Message: <36EA7925.348CD38A@aol.com>
Yep, I knew about the color interactions.
Did a B&W render for the AOL 3D Render Challenge long time ago, but I
converted to grayscale jpg because post-processing isn't as much a
concern there. I was actually working by way of getting an appropriate
enough color image that would look right in all grays.
Think Ken wants a purely artistic manipulation approach.
The hf_gray_16 method needs a orthographic camera.
256 grays is never going to be very good.
Anyone try Spiders idea yet? Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure of how
the color interactions would take place if all are converted to monotone
first then used as the light(s)/texture(s). Same thing as Kens way,
except no manipulation upon them.
Post-conversion is different than pre-conversion no matter I would
think.
Oh, and yes, you can multiply color vectors by -1, i.e.
rgb<.5,.6,.7>*-1, however getting the neutral gray by combining the
positive with negative I don't see happening right.
I tried a simple test, a red object with white light, multiplied both
color vectors by -1 (the only way to see the negative red object). This
makes a similar red object once again. Then I used the result as a
image_map filtered in front of the original object positive red object
and left the negative light.
Well, long story short here, I failed to see a way to get a grayscale
from this sort of thing. Either you get color or you get black only
apparently. Maybe there's still a way, but like I said this was a
"simple test".

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
 mailto:inv### [at] aolcom?PoV