POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? : Re: Rendering in B&W? SOLUTION!? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering in B&W? SOLUTION!?
From: Ken
Date: 12 Mar 1999 20:56:37
Message: <36E9C50B.939F7C1B@pacbell.net>
Lance Birch wrote:

> OK, I've got an idea but I can't remember if it's possible or not (it's been
> a while since I've used POV-Ray).
>
> Can you render the image in normal colour, then SOMEHOW work out a way of
> rendering the two images over each other with negative colour indices?  That
> way the resulting image would be black and white...
>
> The only problem is, how do you get an inverse of the picture without doing
> image editing?  Is there a way to multiply the image_map pigments by -1?
>
> This would solve all the problems, if it were possible.  Any ideas?
>
> Of course the other way (WHICH WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER!!!) is to write a
> macro which reads from the Targa file and creates an array of boxes with the
> black and white colour conversions for each pixel so that when rendered you
> would have the image again... You'd have to turn anti-aliasing off...
>
> --
> Lance.

  I don't know why anybody would go through the trouble. It is very easy
to make grey scale images without resorting to a bunch of tricks or having
to use post processing techniques. Grey/Gray is an easy color to specifiy
in Pov and will work with any pigment pattertn and texture types. It really
is not that difficult to choose the right colors. I have more trouble getting
the right shades of colors than I do shades of grey and I'm pretty good at
color control.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net