POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? : Re: Rendering in B&W? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering in B&W?
From: Ken
Date: 12 Mar 1999 20:29:15
Message: <36E9BEA4.57389D9D@pacbell.net>
Gordon wrote:

> Jerry Anning wrote in message <36e98f24.23757454@news.povray.org>...
> >On Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:44:16 +1030, PoD <pod### [at] merlinnetau> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm pretty sure that reasonable post processing is allowed in the IRTC.
> >>I recall reading that processing which affects all pixels similarly is
> >>acceptable, ie. 'if you wouldn't be willing to do it to every frame of
> >>an animation, it's probably not acceptable' so I'd just load the image
> >>into a paint program and grey scale it.
> >
> >Not so, I'm afraid.  That would definitely be illegal postprocessing.
> >The intent of the rule and the somewhat poor example you quote has
> >been clarified in irtc-l.  The desired situation is no postprocessing
> >at all.  About the only things generally considered acceptable
> >postprocessing are: adding copyright/sig, jpeg conversion. resizing,
> >gamma/brightness correction, (this causes some controversy) stitching
> >together an image rendered in pieces and (this is even more
> >controversial) cropping in certain circumstances.  Many people go to
> >great extremes to avoid even these things where possible.
> >
> >Jerry Anning
> >clem "at" dhol "dot" com
>
> While I haven't had a go at IRTC (yet), I have read the rules. It seems to
> me that it is quite acceptable to use a graphics program to convert an image
> from one "file format" to another, for axample, TGA to JPG, for posting. How
> is it different if I open my 16-bit grayscale image and save it as a 24-bit
> jpeg? The program recognises that the image is gray, not colour and behaves
> appropriately.
>
> Comments?
>
> Gordon
> <gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

  I think in this case it is more an issue of taking a 16m color image
and converting it to 256 shades of gray that would be in non compliance
with the rules. If you are silly enough to take make a rendering in Pov's
16bit greyscale, convert it, and then submit it to the competition you
might just get sympathy votes for being so stupid.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net