POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The misunderstandings page : Suggestions Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Suggestions
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 12 Mar 1999 08:46:39
Message: <36E91A12.D29E1341@aol.com>
Suggestions for additional topics include:

1. Why raytracers cannot do caustics :
I spent probably 10 hours experimenting with Corel Dream3D trying to get
caustics in an underwater scene by placing refractive, bumpy glass things in
front of my light source.  I was cursing the shareholders of Corel Corp when
I just didn't understand raytracing.

2. Why raytracers cannot make a "homemade" spotlight:
When I first got POV, I probably spent about 10 hours trying to make my own
spotlight with a reflective surface on a parabolic shape and a point light
source in it.  Again, I didn't understand how raytracers worked...

3. Explain compression in the MPEG format by giving exhaustive examples.
This is probably a bit more work, but is still a slight source of confusion.