POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : An Idea : Re: An Idea Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An Idea
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 6 Mar 1999 22:07:36
Message: <36E1EEB7.14D47B5D@mailbag.com>
What platform are you using? What programming languages do you know?

I haven't had the time to look into it too closely, but I get the
distinct impression that the GIMP would be an excellent tool for
generating height fields, especially if you wanted to be able to script
changes to them.  It a Unix application, though, and I believe the
built-in scripting support is built around Scheme, which is not the
first language most people learn. Still, I should think it would be
easier to learn Scheme than to build a new app from scratch.

Ignore the bit in the Halloween documents about the GIMP being not much
more than Paint.  It doesn't look like much at first glance, but there's
a great deal beneath the surface.

--
Mark Gordon
mtg### [at] mailbagcom