POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Mesh extruder macro : Re: Mesh extruder macro Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:03:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh extruder macro
From: Ken
Date: 26 Feb 1999 14:12:53
Message: <36D6F1A9.F4215C1F@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> That's what exactly what it does.
> Feed it a shape array of 3D points and a path array 3D points and you have a
> nice smooth shape, pipe-like, or drape-like, depending on whether the shape is
> closed or not. I didn't try it on closed path though.
> Since I'm no math wizard, I don't know exactly what kind of spline is used (I
> borrowed the spline macro from someone named Steve Sloan, as credited in the
> macro).
> If you look at the "Hunters" picture I posted in pov.binaries on Jan 9, 1999,
> the branches and background were made with a modified version of the macro,
> where I had replaced the triangles with small discs to simulates "scales".
> Another possible modification of the macro is to tinker with the part that
> creates the 3D points (replacing the spline shape or spline path by an
> equation, for instance).
>
> Gilles Tran

  The older Pov modeler PovCad had a function available that allowed you
to extrude along a path. I found it very handy for creating complex
curve geometries like all of the inside and outside curves in a picture
frame, the contours of a car body, furniture and carpet mouldings just
to name a few. This process done proceeduraly, internal to pov, adds a whole
new demension to it that has never been seen before. I see the future of
this program brighter now than ever before and it can only get better with
the passage of time.

 Thank you for your contributions.

P.S. -- The tree macro that you posted finaly appeard on the Pov Objects
collection about a week ago. There are both versions yours with no leafs
and the one I modified that added leaves. In the week it has been on line
it has been down loaded nearly 50 times and the number keeps growing daily.
Things like this are a real hit with everybody. If you have anymore little
gems like that hidden away they would be very appreciated by the community :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net