POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virus FREE! : Re: Virus FREE! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virus FREE!
From: Scott Manley
Date: 25 Feb 1999 08:59:34
Message: <36D55734.A2F25DD6@star.arm.ac.uk>
Phil Clute wrote:

> Please accept my sincere appology to everyone for having spread
> a virus to this news group. I hope that noone is now infected because
> of it. I would like to thank Spider for sending me the information to
> get rid of the Happy99.exe trojan . Without that help I would still be
> spreading
> computer disease!

You know there's a theoretical possiblity to create a povray based virus
now, particularly on systems with decent scripting languages in teh OS
(i.e. not Windows or Dos). Create a povray file which opens povray.ini
files in common places it can then add a command which uses say perl so
seek out .ini and .pov files and infect those..

Actually all you lose95/98 users should be careful with scenes from pov
3.1 since all your critical OS files are in teh same place and
vulnerable to being modified when you render a malicious scene. At least
unix has file permissions and mission critical files in safe places.

just a warning of a theoretical possibility....