POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and... : Re: Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and... Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:37:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help needed with radiosity and caustics and dispersion and...
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 21 Feb 1999 01:51:10
Message: <36CFACFE.187EB609@Kopp.com>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Of course I will! After all, it was because you beat me to it that I
> gave up doing my virtual light sources patch. You mentioned once that
> you implemented faked (not using real wavelengths, of coz) dispersion
> in your patch. That's nice. Now the question is, what amound of
> photons do I have to shoot from the sun so that a reasonable number of
> them passes through a 1 inch wide slit, hits my palm and illuminates
> the room with radiosity, caustics and dispersion at that? Maybe you
> should incorporate some way to explicitly specify higher concentration
> of the photons where they are needed.

Yes.  In fact, all photons are shot at specific objects (at a specified
density for each object) instead of everywhere.

Unfortunately, (at least the first version of) this photon mapping
implementation will not directly impact radiosity.  In other words, if
radiosity wouldn't light up the room from a small highly-ambient spot,
then it won't light up the room from a small photon-lit spot.  Photons
will get the light through the slit, off all the specular-reflective
surfaces, and to your hand, but no further (for now).

Photon mapping will NOT replace radiosity (I thought it would, but I
tried it and it didn't work very well).

-Nathan Kopp