POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gimp... OffTopic : Re: Gimp... OffTopic Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:15:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gimp... OffTopic
From: Ken
Date: 18 Feb 1999 19:12:23
Message: <36CCAC00.3496F154@pacbell.net>
Bob Hughes wrote:

> This seemed curious to me that Gimp would be lacking in TGA use.

  I read a news posting in comp.graphic.misc this morning and a person was
giving advice as to which, in his own inestimable opinion, graphics file
formats were of the highest quality and popular for use. Of the top two
mentioned were tiffs and eps.. There was no mention of tga or png and I
seriously doubt he had ever given them more than a passing interest.
  This attitude I feel must stem from the overwhelming amount of people
using computers for graphics work primarily in word processing programs
and that 2d paint stuff. Since the opinion of the majority is often
slanted by what are the mainstream programs in use, such as MS publishing
and Corel and Photo shop, they are only interested in the image file
formats common to those programs. I thought about challenging him on
his top choices but realized who I was dealing with and graciously
moved on.
  With this in mind I don't find it at all surprising when I find a
program not supporting a format that I want supported. I often
find out later that while the file type I want support for is not
only adequate for it's applied use, there are times it is superior
to the ones that are supported as popular and "best". The mainstream
opinion has a lot of influence on what choices we may have tommorow.
Almost like a self imposed dictatorship.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net