POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Gimp... OffTopic : Re: Gimp... OffTopic Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gimp... OffTopic
From: Luis M  Ibarra
Date: 17 Feb 1999 22:27:38
Message: <36CB88E5.15640224@galois.dgae.unam.mx>
Spider wrote:
> Now, I browsed the web for some interesting things, and found this
> port of GIMP for Win32.

Win32 GIMP is a nice thing to have for all the people who don't use
GNU/Linux already. I don't use Win at all myself, so I can't tell you
how good is the port.

There are a couple of things hard to port in The GIMP. a) the
plug-ins/script-fu system and b) the gdk/gtk toolkit. b) is not has hard
as a). a) was designed with unix-like systems in mind, so the port of it
to Win is not "the real^H^H^H^Hsame thing". Most parts of a) must have
been rewritted/rethinked.

My opinion is, go for the full monty, install GNU/Linux, Gnome,
Enlightenment, Gimp and you will be *DELIGHTED*. Mean while you install
GNU/Linux, use the Win32 port.

I don't want to start and OS war from an offtopic question, the fact
that I use GNU/Linux and free software instead of Microsoft and other
propietary companie's products is a personal choice and doesn't imply
that every one not using my choice is wrong. NOTE that below I'll say
*NOTHING* about speed/ram usage/stability/size/etc...

I feel a little sorry for the GIMP Win32 port. The GIMP was a *STRONG*
reason for people to switch to Linux. The GIMP is a perfect example of
what the free software movement is all about (Nice-complete-roboust
aplications at the same or better level that propietary one's, which
people can share and extend and learn from and be happy with).

Linux, The GIMP and all the other free software is build with almost the
same spirit like POVRay was build (but free software goes a little more
beyound [I'll explain later]), that's of making quality software
available to every one who whises to use it. NO, IT'S NO JUST ABOUT
PRICE?!, please think a little about this: There's a beautifull and must
important reason; that's FREEDOM. In fact, you MUST think about freedom
of speech, not free beer, when you deal with this kind of software.
Price is not longer important! freedom IS. freedom to use it, to share
it, to modify it, and to share your modification, to learn from it,
etc...

The GIMP like POV-Ray is been made by *WONDERFULL* people, who still
have the long-forgotten-in-the-software-industry feeling of helping each
other. The make live a little more fun and easier to handle.

When I ear people say "they are nuts, they can't posibly make a living
that way!, that's not how the software industry works". I think to my
self, "they're great!, they're making that software for ME to use!, they
are trying to make a living of that, and it seems that they'll be
succefull (see http://www.redhat.com/ http://www.debian.org/
http://www.cygnus.com/ http://www.fsf.org/
http://www.calderasystems.org/ http://varesearch.com/). If they succeed
this world will be a lot more better to live in."

Ok, I've the audacity of implying that POVRay is laking something. How
rude of me!. well... let met get this straight POVRay is astounding, the
POVteam is a bunch of really good people. the fact is; the GNU GPL
license gives more freedom to the users that the POVRay license. In my
opinion POVRay would be better, if distributed under the GPL, but at the
end I understand the reasons behind the POVRay license, the POVTeam
doesn't want to be stealed and cheated, and they are protecting them
selfs with the current license, and that's good.

If you like free(freedom) software support it!, there're a lot of way to
do that, and one of them is, using it. if you don't use it, you lose it.

So, people here are using povray and that's in fact the reason of povray
existence in the first place.

The GIMP has born from the free software movement so, if you like to see
more software like the GIMP, then use all the software you can from the
free software movement.

You do good to the GIMP using the Win32 port, you do a lot more good
using it in GNU/Linux.

So if you're gonna use The GIMP anyway, please use it in a GNU/Linux
system.

WOW!, I was going to explode. Thanks Spider for giving me the oportunity
to relieve myself. :) :) :) :)