POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Kenneth requested some math help : Kenneth requested some math help Server Time
12 Aug 2024 11:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Kenneth requested some math help
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 17 Feb 1999 22:22:15
Message: <36CB8770.F25820C3@virginia.edu>
Well, it isn't perfect (I don't have the scaling down for spheres,
though they should looks okay without it) but it does most of what you
want.  By defining the dimensions of the box (YZDim is the one that
really matters) and the number of segments you want per degree of arc
the radius is defined.  The scaling should be more accurate, and if you
choose type 4 (quarter sphere) or type 2 (hemisphere) should scale
correctly.  Type 1 (sphere) doesn't scale as mentioned above but does
render and doesn't look bad (at least from a small distance.  As long as
your segments per degree is greater than say 0.25 it shouldn't matter
too much.  The biggest way to slow parse time is to increase SPD
(segments per degree) to a value greater than 0.5 at 1 it took me 5
minutes to parse a sphere whereas 0.5 took around 30 seconds... Of
course that is POVRay hitting my 64meg physical RAM limit.  Hope this
helps Ken.

Steve

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: