POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : not POV-Ray related, for Australians : Re: not POV-Ray related, for Australians Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: not POV-Ray related, for Australians
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 13 Feb 1999 02:49:59
Message: <36C526AE.2F60C11E@geocities.com>
"povray.org admin team" wrote:

> The reason for this is simple - US TV's use 60hz since that's your power line
> frequency. In earlier TV's, having a different frame rate than the AC power
> would have caused banding/interference. Since Australia uses 50hz AC power (and
> it's 240 volt rather than 110), we use 50hz (interlaced) TV signals. The lower
> frame rate allows more lines to be packed into each frame, within the same
> chunk of bandwidth. Hence the higher resolution ;)

Ahhh. but if you do the math with 525 lines at 30 fps and 625 lines at 25 fps you'd
see NTSC has 125 more lines per second overall, and thus a higher resolution ;-)

I had a PAL/NTSC VCR when I was in Germany, but the only way here in the States to
view PAL is on PAL equipment (rare, and professional) or after paying for a
conversion (usually expensive).

Unless, of course, you could make a Video-CD of the tape. Then the player hardware
would handle the differences. But unless you happen to have the equipment in your
den, that might be a little expensive.