POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Possible to give POVray complete priority? : Re: Possible to give POVray complete priority? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible to give POVray complete priority?
From: Mike
Date: 4 Feb 1999 12:57:18
Message: <36B9DEB4.E8365A82@aol.com>
I'm sure Intel won't, but others will.  There was a recent case of a
gaming company that put a 'virus' in their software that read the
registery of people who tried to access the site with an unauthorized
password.  It then sent all this info to the company.

Some folks thought it's their right to help stop piracy.  The problem
was that most of the people were ligit customers...they screwed up when
issuing passwords!

Don't think for a second that there isn't unscrupulous businesses out
there that will do anything for a buck or take advantage of customers if
they are doing poorly financially.  Look at how so much software drops
programs into your registery that starup with your computer whether you
want it to or not.

IMO it could open doors to hackers and other low lifes to pry into our
lives in ways no one has thought of yet.

Which brings me back to something of a personal issue.  So often we get
into OS or platform wars that are completely irrelevent.  In cases like
this I feel it's justified, but few people take issue with it.  When MS
bundles a browser with it's OS, people get their panties in a bunch.
But when they leave backdoors in the browser that allow applets to read
from your harddrive, no one gives it a second though.

My point...Intel is where it is because they have made superior CPU.
Nothing wring with that, but as far as this CPU ID goes, they can roll
it up tight and cram it. :)

-Mike