POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ripples : Re: Ripples Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ripples
From: Ken
Date: 3 Feb 1999 14:34:18
Message: <36B8A490.61A5E27C@pacbell.net>
Josh English wrote:

> I was playing with ripples recentyl, answering another question on this
> server and now I'm the one that's stuck. When I animated some waves with
> phase clock and had the clock go from 0 to 1, it looked like the ripples
> were moving inward, toward the center, instead of away from...
>
> Plus, it looks like the ripples extend forever... I would like to see
> them get smaller and not affect the surface the further from the center
> the ripples get. I would normally try to get this effect by

> normal { spherical
>                 normal_map { [ 0.0 ripples 0 ]
>                                           [ 1.0 ripples 1 ] } }
>
> But this doens't work because ripples cannot be used in normal map
> statements (according to the docs) but it DOES work, unfortunately, even
> with number_of_waves set to 1, the center of the ripple is not at the
> origin,but selected randomly...
>
> Does anyone have a solution to center the waves on the origin (so they
> can be accurately moved) or anther way to give them this kind of
> "extinction" quality so they disappear the further away they get form
> the center?
>
> --
> Josh English
> eng### [at] spiritonecom
> www.spiritone.com/~english

There are some mysteries about both waves and ripples that have
managed to elude me for a long time as well. While reading
through your problem though a thought occured to me that might
help. Since a ripple will by it's nature form aways concentricly
from the origin like when you throw a stone in the water it's
waves form outside the impact region. If you want them to start
to dissapate as they move outward maybe you could add a clock
value to the scale of the normal. Something like:

normal{
 ripples 1
 scale< 0.1+1*clock, 0.1+1*-clock, 0.1+1*clock >}

This will scale the ripple larger in the x+z while getting
smaller in the y as the clock goes through the cycle.
This would have a tendency to make it spread out and
thin along the way.

Also remember that frequency will control how many ripples
will appear in a given pov unit.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet