POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ripples : Ripples Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Ripples
From: Josh English
Date: 3 Feb 1999 14:04:22
Message: <36B89E84.47F3AA1D@spiritone.com>
I was playing with ripples recentyl, answering another question on this
server and now I'm the one that's stuck. When I animated some waves with
phase clock and had the clock go from 0 to 1, it looked like the ripples
were moving inward, toward the center, instead of away from...

Plus, it looks like the ripples extend forever... I would like to see
them get smaller and not affect the surface the further from the center
the ripples get. I would normally try to get this effect by

normal { spherical
                normal_map { [ 0.0 ripples 0 ]
                                          [ 1.0 ripples 1 ] } }

But this doens't work because ripples cannot be used in normal map
statements (according to the docs) but it DOES work, unfortunately, even
with number_of_waves set to 1, the center of the ripple is not at the
origin,but selected randomly...

Does anyone have a solution to center the waves on the origin (so they
can be accurately moved) or anther way to give them this kind of
"extinction" quality so they disappear the further away they get form
the center?

--
Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom