POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : htmlflame=on : Re: htmlflame=on Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: htmlflame=on
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 3 Feb 1999 11:24:38
Message: <36B87880.36366512@fv.aetec.ee>
Lue Ebra wrote:

> I've watched the flamewars regarding html usage, and frankly, I think it's
> getting ridiculous.
> Now that I've vented that, I'm expecting another 3 dozen posts in flame..
> the REAL drag to html postings. Funny.. a 2K html post generates 50K of
> flame (kinda like the fliers in the Sunday paper).

I decided to post my thoughts here as well, hopefully my HTML is turned
off;-) (It's should be 36th in this thread, good estimation, Lue!)
Some thoughts:
Perhaps there should be the readme.txt (or good_manners_to_follow, or
something like that) for first time visitors in this news server, which
explains, what should be done and what should not be done here:
don't use HTML, it pisses people off
don't post binaries to other than binaries group
etc.
There is something written about newsgroups and their use in the povray
homepage, but maybe it should be stated more specifically? E.g. there is
written:"You are welcome to post binaries in the povray.binaries.*
newsgroups. ", but maybe it should be written: "Thou shall not post
binaries to other than povray.binaries.* newsgroups", maybe then users
get the idea better? I understand, that many peoples are new to
computers and usenet, they get their Wintel box, discover PovRay and
it's newsgroups. Now, due to ignorance they do something wrong (post
HTML messages) and get flamed, which is not pleasant experience for
novices (after some time one will have thicker skin and just ignore
flames).

Other thing, which annoys me, is quite large number of unrelated to
PovRay posts. I'm not pissed, because it will cost me money (I can use
my employer's computer and network connection after work time), but
because it will waste my time. Please be more constructive, don't get
involved into waffle or flaming, keep Your discussions related to the
PovRay.
On a positive note I have to admit, that this server's NGs are more
decent than other usenet NGs.

Now I had long talk: long talk-bad talk.