POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : soft text : Re: soft text Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: soft text
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 3 Feb 1999 09:19:07
Message: <36B8557D.34AC8DC1@xs4all.nl>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
> : You type in some
> : text, press the button and out comes an include-file with the code.
>
> : It's Windows95/98 only
>
>   I don't want to be rude, but I just can't understand why.
>   Why is it so difficult to make the same thing with ANSI C or C++, compilable
> in any system? It just reads text and outputs text to a file. It needs
> no system dependant features. It's extremely simple to make this kind of
> program with ANSI C (I bet it's a lot simpler than making a windows program).
>   So why it has to be win95 only? Why it has to include system-dependant
> code which does nothing? Why?
>   Just wondering.

Because I'm just a simple soul who never got round to leraning how to use C, no
matter what version.
Besides, when considering whether I should make a DOS-version I realized I'd
have to wade through a whole bunch of docs to find out how to use
TrueType-fonts.
It was just an afternoon-project which I needed for some simple thing and which
turned out to work better then I had hoped for. I thought perhaps someone else
could do something nice with it, so I put it online. Sorry I excluded the
non-Windows users or, for that matter, the people who don't have computer at
all.
But you're free to port it to whatever platform you like. You probably won't
even need my source-code because it's ridiculously simple. Be my guest.
Meanwhile, next time I'll take your remarks into consideration.

Regards,

Remco