POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug in pseudo random? (gif 716b+) : Re: Bug in pseudo random? (gif 716b+) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in pseudo random? (gif 716b+)
From: Spider
Date: 2 Feb 1999 15:58:53
Message: <36B72F70.7F8C5B85@bahnhof.se>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> It happens with every series of seeds with regular intervals.
ok, is that it. I guess i should have known :-) (After all, I'm
currently reading a thing on how to make pseudo random values, abd how
to prove that a random series isn't working with statistics...)

> I tried it for instance with 1000,2000,3000 which gave a similar result. Then I
> tried it with 1000,2001,3000 and lo and behold!
oki.

> I gues this has something to do with the way seed() works but I wouldn't know
> anything about that.
probably not the seed() but the rand().

> What I don't understand is why you should declare more then one seeds.
> Isn't one enough? Anyway, look what happens when you use only one seed. I did
> ;-)
Actually, I usually have one for each axis, because then there is less
difference If i add a random rotation around an axis or so. And, I think
it's better to use three random values instead of one, gives me a bit
better feeling about it, it's "more random" (I know I'm wrong, but,
whata heck :-)

> I guess this isn't really a bug, just a way to uncover that randomness in a
> computer is often pseudo (as you mentioned).
yup. I was just baffeld at the experience... (notice the ? in the header
;-)

//Spider