POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT : Was: U.D.P. is now 3.1 vs 2.2 ! Server Time
12 Aug 2024 23:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Was: U.D.P. is now 3.1 vs 2.2 !
From: Ken
Date: 31 Jan 1999 00:46:49
Message: <36B3EE28.31EA7D0C@pacbell.net>
Mike wrote:

> From the benchmarks I've seen for versions prior to 2.2, it would seem
> there was plenty of time to read the docs ( and War and Peace, Moby
> Dick, some Encyclopedias...)
>
> -Mike

  I'm not sure that's an altogether fair assesment. You
have to remember a 386-33 was a fast machine when v2.2 was
current. I still have v2.2 on my system and use it a couple
of times a month. It is not that slow and believe it or not
it handles large triangle files better than 3.1 does.
Just before I logged on I was trying to get a 4 meg mesh
file to render. I kept getting syntax errors up the wazoo.

  I think there is a problem with the way Pov reads the scene
out of the memory buffer, once the first run is executed,
instead of off of the disk for each render. I tried repeatedly
to correct the phantom errors, saved the file, hit the render
button and the corrected(?)syntax problem reappeared. The
funny part is there is no real syntax problem in the scene.
Pov just thinks there is. For some reason I don't think it
is updating the memory buffer when the file is saved to
disk. It only occurs on large files but it is frustrating.

Anyway I gave up, changed the mesh to a union, changed a
couple of minor version problems and fired up 2.2.

 Guess what !

After fixing two degenrate triangles it rendered immediatly
without so much as a hiccup <hic !>.

***And*** the render time was entirely acceptable.

I guess dos handles memory better than windows does :)

In conclusion I disagree with your statement.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet