POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question for the Gurus : Re: Question for the Gurus Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:11:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question for the Gurus
From: Ken
Date: 30 Jan 1999 12:07:59
Message: <36B33C53.9474F0C0@pacbell.net>
Spider wrote:

> When you have the testure on the objects, adn do a intersection/difference, the
cutting
> objects material is applied ABOVE the base objects texture..
> I think this is what you see...
> (spoken in uncertanity)
>
> //Spider

  As I understand CSG operations when you intersect an object
or group of objects, let's keep it simple and say a sphere
intersected by a plane, the intersecting object adds it's
properties to the object being intersected.
  A sphere clipped by a plane will become hollow while a
sphere intersected by a plane will have the surface of the
plane added to the area bounded by the circumference of the
sphere.
 If I have a red sphere and intersect it with a blue plane
I will have a half round red sphere with a blue flat face.
When I intersect a sphere with a given pigment or interior
type with a plane that has identical properties I would expect
no change in the objects properties since they are equal.
Nor would I expect a difference in appearance from just
treating the two intersected objects as a whole with a single
pigment and material type.

Certainly we are allowed to #declare an object without a pigment.
We may use that object inside another #declared union of objects.
And when the final #declare object, now a group of objects, is
used the pigment and other material properties may be added.
But it can also be accomplished at the individual object level.
So there should be no difference. Or should there ?

I am so confused.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet