POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Synchronizing sound : Re: Synchronizing sound Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Synchronizing sound
From: Eric Andersen
Date: 27 Jan 1999 02:12:14
Message: <36AEBC83.965F98D9@frontiernet.net>
GrimDude wrote:

> Sounds to me like you have a professional package for this?

Nope.  Here are the rough details:

I used a shareware oscilliscope program to output frequency data to a
text file.  Then, using a text editor I formatted the data into the form
required by POV.  Within the scene file, the frequency data is read in
and used to scale and texture objects, carefully coding so that the time
index of the current frame is synchronized with the music (!).  One
could create, (like i have), a sphere that pulsates with each bass note.
 Since each "frame" of sound data is much shorter than 1/30 second, a
"snapshot" approach can generate a very accurate but somewhat jerky
animation.  I'm working on ways of smoothing out the animations without
bogging down too much under all the extra MB's of sound data.
I also plan to modify this code for lip-sync.
If you're really interested in the nitty-gritty, let me know and I'll
share some old code--but be warned it's all specialized and full of
goofy junk.  Also, I work on a mac, which shouldn't make much of a
difference, but sometimes there are compatability issues.

Ya know, tho_... some of my best results in sync-ing audio and video
have come from purely random collage.  It's amazing how things just seem
to line up on their own.

-E