POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? : Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:35:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'?
From: Matthew Corey Brown - XenoArch
Date: 21 Jan 1999 13:08:43
Message: <36A76C53.8D097E8B@mindspring.com>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> : I knew of this already.
> : To keep any highlights you have to have shadowed lights apparently. You
> : can still use no_shadow on individual objects instead (oh bother) and
> : retain the highlights.
>
>   The problem arises when you have several light sources illuminating an
> object and you want one of those to stop casting shadows (but still causing
> highlights), but the other ones must still cast the shadows.
>   I got this problem yesterday and found no perfect solution to the problem.
>   I think this IS a bug.

Not a bug, but a poor choice of keyword to implementation. Internaly,
shadowless
makes the light a fill-light, A softer light without highlights. Imagine
those
lights in an umbrella at a professional photographer.

The way around this (as long as you don't have too many refletive
surfaces)
is to put a normal light at camera location. (These are normally where i
put
my fill lights anyways)

--
Matthew Corey Brown	xen### [at] mindspringcom
             http://www.xenoarch.com