POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? : Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:34:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does 'shadowless' mean also 'highlightless'?
From: Mike
Date: 21 Jan 1999 06:14:08
Message: <36A70B43.263B96DF@aol.com>
When I first saw that, I thought it really looked like a bug, but then I
started thinking about why they would do that.  It's obvious it was
intentional, since diffuse still works.  The reason, I think, is because
you might want to use shadowless lights to simulate radiosity.
Radiosity is typically a diffuse effect, so just having diffuse work
should do a pretty good job.  If hilights worked and you had a bunch of
shadowless fill lights, you'd end up with a bunch of bright spots all
over object, making it appear like they are reflecting light from
several light sources without casting any shadows.

So it's probably not a bug.

-Mike