POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Development : Re: PovRay Development Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Development
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 19 Jan 1999 20:16:57
Message: <36A53146.E502AEC4@mailbag.com>
Tim Soderstrom wrote:

> Kyle wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone.  I was wondering...is PovRay still in development?  If
> > so, does anyone know when the next version will be released?  Any idea
> > of new features or advancements?
> >                     Kyle
>
> Yes, it is still being developed, and, no, we don't know when the next
> version is to be released. Also, it's probably best if you don't ask the
> Pov-Team. Like Linux stuff, Pov-Ray has no dates (and sometimes so many
> ask, they get offended, heh :) You can't really blame them.
>
> The newest verison, however, is 3.1a (and that is only for DOS and
> Windows - officially, but soon...). That version, however, just came out
> a few months ago...so a new release is probably a ways off, except a
> Linux version, and maybe a small version step to correct bugs (IE 3.11
> or something...)

Actually, 3.1 is released for MS-DOS, Windows, Macintosh, and Amiga.  It
hasn't been released yet for Linux or SunOS, the two officially supported
Unixish flavors.  Of course, if all you have is an Intel machine, it's
accurate to say that your current official choices are DOS and Windows.
There are, of course, unofficial versions (such as my Linux port of the DOS
source, http://www.mailbag.com/users/mtgordon/povray.html, which I'm told
compiles under SunOS with only minor modification of the makefile).

-Mark Gordon