POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New Media tutorial : Re: New Media tutorial Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:31:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Media tutorial
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 18 Jan 1999 17:02:24
Message: <36A3B017.D23AD307@Kopp.com>
Ken wrote:

> I never got around to using atmospheric media and know little of it's
> capabilities. Perhaps a better request would be to incorporate
> different sampling methods into the media feature itself. As has been
> mentioned Chris Young choose the monte carlo version of sampling
> but there are other methods available. I know too little to comment
> more, but it seems possible the feature can be added on to, to increase
> it's effectiveness.

I agree.  The biggest problem is the monte-carlo sampling.  I just sent
a message to Chris about it (before reading this).  I modified my version
of POV to use uniform samples up to the minimum samples (and monte-carlo
after that).  When I set min and max samples the same (so you never go
above the min samples), media is just as smooth as a halo (I haven't
tried atmosphere).  The render time for the same number of samples is
almost the same, too (media is still a touch slower, but that may be
my compiler).

Have you heard of any other sampling techniques?

-Nathan