POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sense to media "air"? : Re: Sense to media "air"? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sense to media "air"?
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 17 Jan 1999 23:30:31
Message: <36A2B8E0.4C52742A@aol.com>
Ilmari Karonen wrote:

> Bob Hughes wrote in message <369ECBDE.8FD96178@aol.com>...
> >I understand the basic scaling syndrome of keeping media density in sync
> >with container objects, but I've been lost too many times trying the
> >containerless "air", since each scene is not the same as the last.
>
> One thing you have to remember is to scale the densities according to
> the scale of the scene. I've found that to have 50% of light absorbed
> by a media of thickness "dist" the appropriate definition is
>   media { absorption 1/(sqrt(2)*dist) }

Okay, I'll try that out. Thanks for keeping me going. (I did know to
scale, maybe everyone will catch on to that procedure eventually)

> I suppose the same applies to scattering media. Since the density is
> constant, you can speed up rendering by using "intervals 1". Oh, and
> don't use the fade_distance keyword in interior if you want a realistic
> scene - the formula used has nothing to do with realistic absorption.

Watch out with the intervals being lower than the number of
light_sources. Not sure yet of the correlation, but I have had crashes
using a intervals integer less than the lights number.

> BTW, whatever were the povray designers thinking when they implemented
> light_source fading? For some reasong the realistic formula
>   attenuation = pow( fade_distance/d, fade_power )
> was replaced by
>   attenuation = 2/( 1 + pow( d/fade_distance, fade_power ) )
> which has AFAIK absolutely no connection to reality, even though it does
> approximate the proper formula at distances far greater than fade_distance
> as long as you remember to divide the brightness by two.. (The same cannot
> be said for the aforementioned interior fading.)

Any POV Team member know why or can confirm this?

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob