POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sense to media "air"? : Re: Sense to media "air"? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:21:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sense to media "air"?
From: Mike
Date: 16 Jan 1999 07:01:53
Message: <36A07EF8.C41983AA@aol.com>
I've been planning on making something new to cover media, just haven't
found the time.  I'll tell you one thing though, it won't cover halos in
any shape or form.

I see it this way.  When it comes to scattering, media is just as good
as atmosphere.  They are both about equally bad in terms of speed, and
if you use jitter with atmosphere you have the same look.  So for at
least that aspect of media I'd say there's no major difference.

The other options in halos are a different story.  The emitting
and...well, just the emitting as the other two sucked...were actually
quite useful on account of the speed.  This old computer used to blow
right through an emitting halo in seconds and get smooth results.  Not
quite the same with media.  My understanding is that the sampling method
is different than with media.  Bringing back that method might be a good
idea as an option in media for things that don't need as much accuracy.
So anyway, I got this thing I'm working on, plus that collection of
stars I promised, and this other thing...but I swear I'll try to cook
something up on media as soon as I can. :)

-Mike