POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:32:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...)
From: Nieminen Mika
Date: 14 Jan 1999 13:14:35
Message: <369e340b.0@news.povray.org>
Johannes Hubert <jhu### [at] algonetse> wrote:
:>  And anyways, you don't have to guess anything if you have a proper shell
:>which supports file name completion
: [snip]

: That would have to be a *very* intelligent completion. Figure this:

: Two filenames "    abc.txt", "   bcd.txt" (both have 3 leading spaces).
: With a proportional font you can see that there are *some* leading spaces
: but not how many. So you would have to guess, and completion won't help you
: either. Or am I missing some magic feature of completion?

  No problem:
  (pressing tab for file name completion is indicated as <tab>)

talitiainen:~/temp>touch "    abc.txt"
talitiainen:~/temp>ls \ <tab>
talitiainen:~/temp>ls \ \ \ \ abc.txt
    abc.txt

  In UNIX you can specify a literal white space preceding it with \
so just type the first space (ie. "\ ") and press tab for the file completion.
The shell (in this case zsh) makes an intelligent completion, preceding
each special character (such as space, asterisc, question mark, etc) with
a \ so you can easyly see the number of spaces from the number on \'s.
  zsh is even smarter (at least right configured): If there are many file
names with leading spaces, then you can press tab twice and zsh will start
to go through all them until you get the one you wanted (as 4dos does at the
first tab press).
  Now I want to remove that file, so I just make:

talitiainen:~/temp>rm \ <tab>
talitiainen:~/temp>rm \ \ \ \ abc.txt

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/