POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:37:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Jan 1999 12:06:35
Message: <369e241b.0@news.povray.org>
In article <369df85a.0@news.povray.org> , par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>If you say so.... :)
>
>Actually, you don't need to know how many spaces.  Since the Mac doesn't
>have a command line, you use the mouse to pick the file you want, and the
>computer already knows how many spaces there are.  Programs that use command
>lines, though, should support quoting.  You have to use quotes on Windows
>console-mode programs when using filenames with embedded spaces as well,
>but the shell handles them, which leads me to believe that whatever solution
>is found should be platform-specific.

Well, to the honest, even single or double quotes won't help - the Mac allows nearly
everything as a name.   The solution I would prefer would be a platform independent
syntax option. The must widely used is the URL spec, I think. Details can be found at
http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/url-guide.html (and in many other places, e.g. the
RFC at http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1738.html).

    Thorsten