POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) : Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file names (Macintosh, Unix?,...)
From: Ron Parker
Date: 14 Jan 1999 08:59:54
Message: <369df85a.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:03:53 +0100, Johannes Hubert <jhu### [at] algonetse> wrote:
>Nieminen Mika wrote in message <369cf48f.0@news.povray.org>...
>[snip]
>>  And anyways, you don't have to guess anything if you have a proper shell
>>which supports file name completion
>[snip]
>
>That would have to be a *very* intelligent completion. Figure this:
>
>Two filenames "    abc.txt", "   bcd.txt" (both have 3 leading spaces).
                1234           123

If you say so.... :)

Actually, you don't need to know how many spaces.  Since the Mac doesn't
have a command line, you use the mouse to pick the file you want, and the
computer already knows how many spaces there are.  Programs that use command
lines, though, should support quoting.  You have to use quotes on Windows
console-mode programs when using filenames with embedded spaces as well,
but the shell handles them, which leads me to believe that whatever solution
is found should be platform-specific.