POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : Idea: Sprite rendering option : Re: Idea: Sprite rendering option Server Time
26 Apr 2024 01:32:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Idea: Sprite rendering option
From: Peter Popov
Date: 10 Jan 1999 22:51:31
Message: <369a7437.125433341@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 15:09:47 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>Here's the solution that I use:  I render the image at much higher resolution
>than I intend to use, with antialiasing turned OFF.  Then I open it in a paint
>program that handles transparancy (I use Paint Shop Pro 5).  Next, I remove the
>background color, then resize the image down to the size I want.  PSP does a
>good job resampling, so you get the effect of antialiasing but the edges
>antialias to the alpha channel instead of to black.
>
>-Nathan

Good tip, though not very effective for complex images. You can render
with alpha channel and then fix it in PSP. A mild blur followed by a
high contrast + low brightness correction will shrink the alpha
channel by about a pixel, which is acceptable for 800x600 and better..

Peter