POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering Night Skies : Re: Rendering Night Skies Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:30:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Night Skies
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 14 Jan 1999 08:49:05
Message: <369DF610.A75EC6E4@inapg.inra.fr>
My 2 eurocents:
 I don't care about realism as long as the pic makes me feel something.
IMHO, trying to mimic reality is a dead end because reality will always a
head start... Top 3D "hyperrealistic" renderings may be impressive in terms
of computer technology (and useful in all sorts of business situations) but
many are pathetic attempts artistically speaking, unless the artist gives it
the personal twist that makes it unique. Interpretation is the keyword.

As a kid, my favorite SF painter was UK cover artist Chris Foss, who made
all kinds of different terrestrial or space skies, most of them in unusual,
totally unrealistic colors.
If you don't have his 1980 book "XXIth Century Foss", just have a look this
page for inspiration :
http://www.stl-online.net/vanya/fossart/fossvirtual.html
BTW, anyone knows whether Foss is still active today ? He seems quite
forgotten today. I couldn't find any recent info (>1991) on him.

About city night skies, I live in a big city myself and rarely see the
stars, planets and such. However, I find that the general hazy glow of a
city is far from being dull and could be something pretty complex and
interesting to model.

Gilles Tran