POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering Night Skies : Re: Rendering Night Skies Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:36:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Night Skies
From: Ken
Date: 14 Jan 1999 07:17:06
Message: <369DDFC0.ABB90351@pacbell.net>
Remco de Korte wrote:

> I don't care much for space scenes as long as I get my weekly dose of StarTrek
> ;-)
> The starry skies are perhaps not realistic, you could use them for effect. The
> same as done in movies with a panoramic view where the top half of the screen is
> getting darker, as if the sky would really look that way. You could even have a
> movieposter with a desertlandscape in the middle of the day with sky growing
> darker towards the top, even showing stars. It's all a matter of taste. If you
> go for realism, perhaps you should just use some sort of filthy brownish gray,
> for the average urban environment (on hot summerevenings the moon here is
> actually orange in stead of pale).
> I think the nightsky you describe takes an image away from realism and makes it
> look more like a hollywood movie. Perhaps that explains why people would want to
> do that. Besides: outside the POV-community it looks really great and few people
> know where it comes from  ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Remco

I've notice that the original (read the "Real")  Star Trek, many of the big budget
movies (star wars, star trek movies, etc), babylon 5, all seem to remain for
the most part faithfull to reality.
  I guess I should explain why I'm asking this question and to that I reply that
I was looking at the task board for the  IMP Internet Movie Project, and
noticed there are several modeling tasks open. Of these are modeling the
planets in our solar system. I have seen some artist representations on Tom's
site showing some pretty fantastic scenes with gas cloud around venus, and
super bright stars with phenominal halo's glowing around them. While this may
look good in a poster I'm not sure it's for the IMP. So if I choose to accept
one of the modeling tasks I would like to take correct approach to it.
  If everyone thinks that using everthing Pov can do to show off it's capabilities
is the way to go I can do that. If realism is the case then a different philosiphy
is needed.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet