POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering Night Skies : Re: Rendering Night Skies Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:32:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Night Skies
From: Mike
Date: 14 Jan 1999 02:22:22
Message: <369D9AA4.19639556@aol.com>
We can all see the Orion nebula from earth.  It's pretty bright.  I
think some others are visible too, they just look like stars is all.
You can see the Andromeda galaxy under clear skies too, and it's
actually pretty big.  Looks like a faint fuzzy patch if you use averted
vision.

Lens flares are internal reflections of the camera lens.  That's why
they are shaped like the diaphram of the camera.  The colors are at
least partly attributable to the coatings used on lens elements (thin
film interference like POV's iridescence).

-Mike