POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering Night Skies : Re: Rendering Night Skies Server Time
12 Aug 2024 19:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering Night Skies
From: Mike
Date: 13 Jan 1999 21:21:18
Message: <369D5414.C3E353BC@aol.com>
I'm waiting for someone to create a project to develop macros for the
sun, moon, stars and just about everything else involving the solar
system as seen from earth.  Throw in day and night cycles too.

It would be kinda' cool if someone could create an outline for a macro
that calculates the positions of various stars in the sky in such a way
that it would be easy for others to add to it.  I figure the sky could
be divided up into zones and then someone could get that section of sky
and using star charts add all the visible stars up to about magnitude 6
or 7. I figure with a few dozen people working on it we could have them
all covered in a few months, though I really don't know how many stars
this would actually cover.  Anyone know?

Sound like fun?

If I had the time I would start it now.  Otherwise I'll get to it in
about a month if no one runs with the idea.

-Mike