POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Happy Newyear : Re: Happy Newyear Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Happy Newyear
From: Spider
Date: 9 Jan 1999 22:15:11
Message: <36981A67.B262C6D1@bahnhof.se>
Nieminen Mika wrote:

> Julius Klatte <jku### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> : What does the christian religion say? (I don't know anything
> : about religious stuff)
> : Was good old Christ born in the year 0 or 1? And why wasn't
> : he born on january the 1st?
>
>   1) There's no such a thing as "year 0". There is only year 1 BC and after
> that year 1 AD.
>   2) The Gregorian calendar was created hundreds of years after Christ.
> Some researches estimate that Christ was born several decades BC (I know
> this statement may sound a bit silly :) ).
>   3) Carefully studying the Bible shows that Christ was very improbably
> born in Dec 25, but more probably in the autumn (actually Dec 25 was the
> birthday of the Sun god in the Roman religion).

Sorry to prolong this thread so much, but I just saw this, and had to reply...
In Scandinavia (Sweden,Norge, Island, Denmark) there was a great party at the winter
solstice, and since the priest couldn't stand this, they also had to add a religious
holiday around the same time. This is one other reason to put the holiday at that
time.

//Spider