POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : First Strike at Pearl info page : Re: First Strike at Pearl info page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:22:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Strike at Pearl info page
From: Ken
Date: 4 Jan 1999 04:27:18
Message: <36908904.185EFE2@pacbell.net>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> The following link is an excellent description of
> the design and development of one of the Dec 1998
> IRTC entries, "First Strike at Pearl" by
> "N.B." and Glenn McCarter.  The image is at :
>
> image            : http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/strike.jpg
> text description : http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1998-12-31/strike.txt
> details          : http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/9193/index.html
>
> Since the round is currently open for voting, I will avoid publically
> stating my opinions of the work with respect to the competition, but
> it is highly worth checking out for its own merits.
>
> Dan

  I too will avoid comment on the specifics of this scene which is
note worthy in and of itself but one thing concerns me about this
image and other recent image postings using the new media feature.
  That concern is the grain structure that seems to be an inherent
artifact of the process. While not as pronounced in the smoke of
the above mentioned image, probably due to it's distance, it really
shows up often in many other images. I wonder if this is going to
be a fact of life with this feature or if there is a something that can
be done to reduce the particle size while maintaining the density
needed for realism.
  Smoke paticles are very fine particulate matter and the reason it
appears to us as it does is primarily due to shear volume. Might this
grain artifact be a problem of image resolutions and screen capabilities
or am I just jumping the gun on this still evolving feature ?

  I'm willing to entertain discussion on this but truthfully have as yet
not spent much time with it and am by no means a barometer of
it's potential.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet