POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : First Strike at Pearl info page : Re: First Strike at Pearl info page Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First Strike at Pearl info page
From: Mike
Date: 4 Jan 1999 11:56:09
Message: <36904979.98F710F7@aol.com>
It's really just a function of the sampling.  If you recall the
particular look of atmosphere, it had a distinct banded look.  Even
though it was way off, it tended to look smoother because it was so in
at least on direction.  But that was just because it sampled at equal
lengths along the viewing ray.   Using jitter gave it a look similiar to
media.

The grainyness is objectionable though.  Something I've been thinking
about is that there must be some way to smooth media without taking
extra samples.  I figure it should involve comparing pixels and trying
to balance them.  I suppose a new keyword could let the user control
this by allowing the user to give a maximum intensity difference that
the pixels should be smoothed.  The maximum for 24 bit images should be
1/255, but higher values would likely be specified.  Perhaps the sampled
pixels could be grouped into fours and cached, then they could be
compared against each other.  Then the intensities would be adjusted
until neighboring pixels don't vary by more than the specified amount.

I've heard that similiar techniques are used for stachastic renderers
for the same reason.  There is a certain loss of accuracy, but it
doesn't require much extra time and results in more visually pleasing
images.  If you take that image and draw a freehand mask around it in a
paint program, then apply a gaussian blur to the image, I bet the
results would be very nice.

comments/flames?

-Mike