POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) : Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers)
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 1 Jan 1999 12:30:59
Message: <368e0538.69139368@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:23:16 -0700, "Twyst" <twy### [at] twystednet> wrote:

>Here's a different look: why not write a pov-ray SPECIFIC library. IE. place
>the files in, and using a customized interface, povray reads the library.
>Who says anything about making it a DLL? Why not make a simple binary format
>that povray can read crossplatform?

Because the code in the current isosurface DLLs is compiled C, in the
form of processor-specific instructions, and would thus be useless to
the average Amiga user (and possibly even the average DOS user).  You
could write an entire virtual machine and make the 'libraries' contain
p-code, but there would be a bit of a performance hit over just
compiling the functions into the source directly.

>I mean.. look at TTF fonts. Just because
>they don't work _as fonts_ in any other OS but windows, doesn't mean pov-ray
>can't read them. You can read windows TTF fonts on the amiga, for the TTF
>object. Amigas don't use TTF fonts in any way, yet the file itself is still
>readable.  Why not go from that as a starting point?

TTFs, except for some hinting rules in a documented pseudocode, are
just big tables.  There isn't any native executable code in one.