POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) : Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:49:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers)
From: F VERBAAS
Date: 1 Jan 1999 11:45:52
Message: <368cfbc0.0@news.povray.org>
Mick Hazelgrove heeft geschreven in bericht <368b6033.0@news.povray.org>...

>Once again THANKS Pov team - the only sad news is the probably loss of the
>iso patch - can we keep some of it, the non Dll part? I espeacially like
>using it to create mathmatical surfaces, normal and color patterns.

I was engaged in the development of FORTRAN programs that were both
user-extendable and had one and the same source code for a variety of
platforms. The trick we played was that we included a number of 'slots' in
the code, where we called dummy subroutines. The user could include his own
features by replacing one of those dummies and then re-linking the program
from the .lib files we supplied along with the .exes. The re-linking was not
considered a problem since the user needed to have a compiler and a linker
for his platform anyway.

This technique may provide a way to allow users to extend POV without
compromising on platform independence.

Happy new year to all of you.

Frans