POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Q: Rand : Re: Rand Server Time
12 Aug 2024 21:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rand
From: Julius Klatte
Date: 1 Jan 1999 09:40:11
Message: <368cde4b.0@news.povray.org>
>Is it possible to add a random +/- function to a loop ?

I think so, yes.

>For example I have a loop that is making several copies of
an object
>and I wish to apply a random rotation of say -20*y to +20*y
as the
>objects are being translated by the loop. Is this possible
?

a random number is between 0 and 1, so if you want to use a
random rotation up to twenty, you can obviously use
20*rand(R) to do the trick
Now if you also wish to use negative numbers up (down?)
to -20, you have to subtract 20,

20*rand(R)-20

This 'creates' numbers between -20 and 0.
If you want numbers between -20 and 20, it would look like
this:

40*rand(R)-20

So your rotation would be like :

#declare seed(R)=1999 (happy new year)