POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) : Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Plans for 1999 (A word from our Sponsers)
From: Ken
Date: 3 Jan 1999 00:40:40
Message: <368F0272.7C6E407E@pacbell.net>
Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> Well, if people really needed cross-platform 'dll's, you could always go
> the route of setting up JNI hooks and writing the 'dll' in Java. That way
> you'd have bytecodes that would run on many platforms. (Or maybe...
> POV-Ray could be made to call a Java method. That Java method could be
> set up to in turn call a platform-specific native module via JNI, or just
> fall back to a pure Java implementation, and could even switch
> dynamically at run-time. Arrrggghhh! No.....! Stop!!! my head hurts....)
>
> Of course, with the speed factor and all, especially with raytracing, I
> would definitely say don't do that. Just stick to good clean C.

To quote Chris Young concerning Pov a Jave:

WHAT LANGUAGE TO USE?  WHEN?  HOW?
        As I mentioned earlier, we originally planned that our next
release would be a major rewrite in C++ however we had lots of input
from users and team members that a compiled Java rewrite might be a
good alternative.  In the 18 months since that debate, Java has not
fulfilled its promise to unite the world in the peaceful harmony of a
single, portable language.  The whole industry (not just Microsoft) is
doing things to ruin Java.  Enough politics... Java is out.  We're
sticking with our original plan for C++.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet